Wednesday, October 08, 2008

All the materials you need to start calligraphy!

These days, I must admit, to having a wry smile on my face when I look at the list of Basic Materials I used to give out to my first term beginner students and I’m sure those who are still doing it many years later will have one too!
The list was as follows:

DRAWING BOARD: ¼” ply or 6mm MDF, 15” x 18”

PAPER: A layout pad or Printing paper

PENS: Wm Mitchell Dip Nibs, A couple of reservoirs, and a couple of pen holders

INK: Black Ink, Liquid Chinese Stick Ink is preferable

ERASERS: A plastic eraser or at least a soft white one

PENCILS: A 2H and a 2B will do for starters

RULER: 18” see through plastic

GLUE: A Pritt Stick or similar or look for 3M scotch magic tape

A NOTEBOOK: For taking notes in class

Total Cost…. Around £15 – £20

Other Useful Items

A Scalpel, Masking Tape, Steel Rule for cutting and a cutting board (Put this on your Christmas List)

Why the smile?


Well if only life was that simple. As I look around my studio I realise that this is only the beginning, and if you become obsessed (like I did) with the wonder of letters then you will never have enough pens, papers, paints, glues, brushes, cutting and measuring implements, frames, canvases…. Oh I could go on…. I think we all accumulate items that we just HAD to have, some more useful than others. Funnily enough, for the beginner the list above hasn’t really changed…. But for those with the passion…. Well, the list is endless. In the nest article I will discuss the various writing implements both conventional and unconventional. Any questions on Pen, nibs etc. Please email me
HERE and I’ll try to answer them on my blog. Happy Scribbling!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...