Friday, October 17, 2008

Keeping a Blog for prosperity

This most amazing sunrise was taken just 15 minutes ago. It has absolutely no relevance to the following post, it’s title or it’s contents, but it was so fantastic I had to share it with you. It was worth running out in my PJ’s in full view of the neighbourhood to get the picture. MAGIC!

It’s ironic isn’t it? That as a Calligrapher, I’ve never been much of a writer…. Well not in the conventional sense that is.

Every year as I child and growing up I looked forward to getting a diary. I promised myself I would keep it up and looked forward to New Years Day, the start of a whole New Year. Every year was the same… I get to the middle of February and the pages became empty, once again. As the days of forgotten pages grew longer, it seemed a bit of an insult to pick it up and start writing again, as if nothing had happened in the previous weeks and months.

I have a couple of them left, ones that I did keep up, ones that are filled with my teenage angst and usual ranting and ravings, broken heart memories from being dumped by the latest boyfriend, thinking I would never recover… of course we do. Then the diary that I kept after meeting my husband, getting married at 18 and trying for a baby. Month after month of hope and disappointment, until at last it happened. Diary keeping became a thing of the past when the joys of motherhood took every spare minute of my life. I did however keep a memory box and added to it things that would remind me of special times, days out, special occasions, never thinking that one day I would ever use them and put them into a book. However as I get older and my son has left home, my husband is no longer alive to pass down stories to my son, it’s become more important for me to get things in order so that if anything happens to me he won’t find the drawer filled with tickets and bits and pieces that mean nothing to him without them being explained. Part of my life that is so intimate it can only be shared by the three of us and one of us is no longer here.

At least with my blog, I don’t feel obliged to write every day or even week. Missing pages are not important and one post runs into another. Yes the blog is fragmented. It’s about my work, my life my friends and family, my animals, my ponderings, my musings and yes…. There’s still that teenage angst now and again. Only these days I’m seen to be a whinging old crone! Lol. It’s a no holes bared, heart on the sleeve job. A glimpse of who I am as a person. (I hope).

Journals can be kept for all sorts of reasons…. And I will talk about this on my next post.

Meanwhile, over the next year or so I plan to put together that journal, so one day my son can enjoy that journey that is so much a part of his past too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...