Friday, October 24, 2008

A Tribute to Glen Epstein Calligrapher Scribe and Joker


I was saddened on Monday to hear of the death of a fellow scribe, Glen Epstein. I first met Glen many years ago on a calligraphy message board and after the initial shock of getting to grips with his unique humour, found he was easy to like and despite first impressions was a gentle and wonderful spirited man who couldn’t do enough to help and was generous with his valuable knowledge. Other scribes have described him as a joker, teacher, minstrel and trickster, a doting father and grand father and a man who was passionate about animals. His website at http://www.glenepstein.com/index.php Will show you just a small selection of his work from a very talented and adaptable scribe who had many facets to his nature.

It prompted me to put a message out to the Cyberscribes thanking them for the kindness they showed me long, long ago when I was first diagnosed with Presumed Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome and soon after my husbands death. These people I consider my friends, most of which I’ve never meat, yet we somehow connect on a far deeper level. We ‘know’ each other, we respect each other, we share our knowledge and our feelings. We are one.

It’s got me thinking of the many people that pass through our lives. Some are only there for a while but leave a lasting impression. Some are around for a lifetime. I have publicly thanked these people for being part of my life. I have had wonderful emails reminiscing of our early days on the board. There are calligraphers who I had a huge impact on my life and my work both in the UK and USA especially.

Among the many tutors Brian Walker, Peter Halliday, Gaynor goffee, Sue Hufton, Richard Middleton, Ann Hechle, Donald Jackson…. Oh I could go on, but one tutor in particular had a huge impact on not only my work but on my life. His teaching of calligraphy taught me as much about Lettering as it did about myself. He now lives in the states and it’s our loss and their gain.

Life’s quite a journey and when you sit down and really think about those in your life who have made such an impact, it’s quite overwhelming. Each one having an impact on ‘who’ you are today.

Keep on connecting. Keep on remembering. Keep on being grateful for everyone who comes into your life. Each one is your teacher.

I will end this blog with a Video of Glens, which I hope you will watch. Glen made an impact on many lives. I only home he was aware of this during his lifetime. Rest easy Glen, your work lives on and will continue to inspire for many more years to come. I wonder how many of us can be assured of that when we eventually go off to the Summer Lands.
Please - Go and see Glens Video here
http://www.glenepstein.com/video.php

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...