Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Creative Bookbinding - Concertina Book Commission

Off all the commissions I get from my website, I find there’s nothing more satisfying than making a Concertina Book, especially when the people who has commissioned it gives me free reign.

Concertina books are easy, some call them Accordion Books. They are quite simply folded strips of paper into an even number of pages with a front and back cover.

Sometimes they have a ribbon running out of the back which is then used to secure the book closed, adding to the anticipation of the recipient when opened.


The poem itself had 6 verses and I decided that I would put 2 verses on each double spread. The writing was completed first and then the background was decorated with chalk pastel, scraped off the chalk with a scalpel and then rubbed in gently for a cloudy effect. This close up shows it in more detail. I cut stars into the concertina itself , along with a heart.

I then decided to make a case for the book to protect it while in transit. The recipient in question is off to Canada so hopefully it will travel well and come out virtually unscathed. The wonderful thing about concertina Books is that they can stand alone and be used as ornaments on a shelf. It will be a reminder that her family is not very far away.

I've included the following photo as it shows the true colours of the cover so much better
However, every job is not without it's problems.... and can you believe that this clasp and fastening took longer to work out and 'do' that Practically the whole book! lol. Ahhhh such things are sent to try us.
The star split pin reflects the stars cut outs inside.

My final idea for the closure was to thread ribbon through 2 brags when the book is inside the beads can be then pushed up to form a tight closure. I'm sure I could have come up with a simpler fastening.... but hey... that wouldn't be so much of a challenge would it?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...